Save now on the Sleep8 by using the “CLEAN” code during checkout
Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder where a person’s breathing stops and starts repeatedly in sleep. A person suffering from this breathing disorder can have episodes where their breathing can stop for a few seconds and, in some cases, may occur for minutes. It can be quite a serious issue in some cases of patients where their breathing can pause 30 times or more within an hour.
Sleep apnea may lead to an unhealthy life situation and may cause serious heart issues if not treated properly. CPAP or Continuous Positive Airway Pressure is a technology in which mild air pressure is applied continuously through a ventilator so that the person can breathe continuously in sleep.
A CPAP is a beneficial treatment for people affected with sleep apnea. It has been observed that prolonged use of CPAP therapy has a positive impact on the health of the user. However, one has to keep the CPAP and its accessories clean and germ-free otherwise it may lead to a negative impact on the health of the person.
CPAP devices can be cleaned using soap and water but it not only is a time-consuming process but also can leave moisture in the device and in turn become a perfect breeding place for bacteria and germs. Not many people can find enough time to clean the device every day and keep it sanitized, so there are CPAP cleaners and sanitizers on the market. One of the best CPAP cleaners and sanitizers is Sleep8.
An Introduction to Sleep8 CPAP Cleaner
It is one of the two CPAP cleaners in the market that kill up to 99.9% of the bacteria, germs, and molds and has the certification from US Labs.
Sleep8 has the potential to sanitize the CPAP system and prevent complications such as sinus, sickness, reactions, etc. A CPAP can be free from germs and aid in reducing the impacts of sleep apnea if the equipment is cleaned regularly using the Sleep8 device.
Sleep8 Sanitizer is a cordless and waterless device. It has a silent operation and employs the same technology that is used for sanitization in hospitals in other industries.
Save now on the Sleep8 by using the “CLEAN” code during checkout
Significance of Sleep8 CPAP Cleaner
Making the life of a sleep apnea patient easier is the primary task of Sleep8 CPAP Cleaner. It becomes all the more significant because of the following reasons:
- It sanitizes both heated and non-heated CPAP machines and accessories.
- No power adapter needed at the time of sanitization.
- Very easy to sanitize the CPAP (with just one click of a button).
- It uses active oxygen to sanitize the CPAP components.
Why is it necessary to clean a CPAP frequently?
After prolonged use, CPAP devices and accessories may become home to bacteria and germs and can also lead to mold formation. If not sanitized properly, a CPAP may cause sinus, headache, allergy and other such problems.
Cleaning your CPAP daily ensures there is no formation of molds and germs, which in turn, helps in a soothing sleep and sanitized breathing.
Unboxing the New Sleep8 CPAP Cleaner
The Sleep8 Sanitizer and Cleaner is a combination of three units:
- 1 Sleep8 Device – It is a silent device that pumps activated oxygen into the bag and sanitizes the CPAP components.
- 1 Sanitizing Filter Bag – A durable carbon filter bag to keep the CPAP components for sanitization and safely filter the ozone back to oxygen as it exits the bag during cleaning.
- 1 Micro USB Charger – The charger can be used to recharge the batteries of the Sleep8 device.
It is recommended to change the sanitizing filter bag after 90 days of regular use to ensure peak performance of the built-in carbon filter.
Warranty – Sleep8 CPAP cleaner comes with a warranty of 18 months on the device, 12 months on the charger and 90 days on the filter bag. The company recommends changing the filter bag every 90 days even if it is not damaged.
How to Use the Sleep8 CPAP Cleaner
Sleep8 CPAP Cleaner is an easy-to-use device. You can follow the steps mentioned below to use the device effectively:
- Remove the CPAP tubing from the CPAP machine. Open the Sleep8 sanitizing bag and find the circular valve at the bottom of the bag. Attach the end of the CPAP tubing to the circular valve. Place the tubing and mask into the bag. If your CPAP has a humidifier chamber, remove the chamber from the CPAP and empty any water from the chamber. Wipe any remaining water drops from the chamber. Place the chamber into the bag and zip close the bag to make it airtight.
- There is a triangular-shaped valve on the outside of the bag with a Blue Dot. There is also a Blue Alignment Dot on the Sleep8 connection port. Connect the Sleep8 device with the valve aligning the Blue Dots. Ensure that the valve is properly connected with the port on the device, otherwise, the sanitization process will not start.
- Press the blue-colored power button on Sleep8 device. The device beeps when it switches on and the screen lightens up. The screen helps in tracking the cleaning process, battery level, etc.
- Once the cleaning process is complete, the device beeps five times and OK is displayed on the screen. It then shuts down on its own to save power.
- Allow the CPAP components to be inside the bag for at least an hour after the device turns off. After this period is over, unzip the bag and take out the CPAP components and set it up with your CPAP system for enjoying the full night’s sleep.
Save now on the Sleep8 by using the “CLEAN” code during checkout
How to Charge the Sleep8 CPAP Cleaner
It is not necessary to provide power supply to the Sleep8 CPAP Cleaner when in operation. You just have to charge the device before you go for the sanitization process. A simple USB cable with an adapter is provided to charge the Sleep8 CPAP device. You can use the Sleep8 CPAP device for cleaning while it is being charged as well.
An indicator on the device’s screen shows the battery level and if it is low, you will have to charge the device before you sanitize the CPAP components.
It is recommended that you fully charge the device before starting the sanitization process as it may not lead to proper sanitization if the device turns off during the cleaning process.
Sleep8 CPAP Cleaner Screen Details
Sleep8 CPAP device has a small circular illuminated screen on the device. It displays a few details to the user which helps while charging and operating the device. These details are:
- Battery Indicator – The battery indicator displays the remaining battery life. In case it is low, it is recommended that you charge the device or plug in the charger before using it.
- Timer – It shows the time remaining for the Sleep8 device to complete the sanitization process. Once the clock turns zero, it beeps five times and switches off.
- Fan Icon – The fan icon pulsates at the time of sanitization showing that the cleaning process is underway and is not complete yet.
- O3 Icon – The O3 icon is used to confirm that the Sleep8 device is properly connected to the bag through the triangular valve on the outside of the bag. In case the bag is not connected with the device, an ‘x’ symbol is displayed next to O3. It is recommended to remove the device from the bag and reconnect it again aligning the Blue Dots until the symbol ‘x’ disappears.
Important Things to Keep in Mind while Using the Sleep8 CPAP Cleaner
Even though the Sleep8 CPAP Cleaner is very easy to use, you have to keep a few important points in mind. Some of these are mentioned below:
- Keep the Sleep8 CPAP cleaning kit away from the reach of children.
- Do not store the Sleep8 in direct sunlight or expose to moisture and humidity.
- Ensure that the device is adequately charged so that it does not shut down midway while sanitization is under process. However, you can charge the Sleep8 device at the same time when it is sanitizing the CPAP components.
- Make sure that the zip of the bag is completely locked and no air from inside escapes out.
- The Sleep8 CPAP cleaner is portable. You should not put it close to sharp-edged objects otherwise it may damage the bag.
- Never add water in the bag or spray any disinfectant inside it.
- There is a battery inside the device which operates at the time of sanitization and no external power is required.
- You should not remove the Sleep8 device from the filter bag while the sanitization is under process. You should remove the device only when it shuts down on its own and have waited a minimum of 1 hour after the cleaning cycle has ended to allow the ozone to convert back to oxygen.
How is the Sleep8 CPAP Cleaner better than other Products?
Sleep8 CPAP Cleaner is a simple, easy to use, silent and portable sanitization system. There are a number of CPAP cleaners and sanitizers available in the market but Sleep8 stands out from the rest because of some flagship features. Some of these are mentioned below which will help you to understand why Sleep8 is better than other sanitizers:
- It is an easy-to-use device with a simple plug and play mechanism.
- No external power is required for the device at the time of sanitization. The device has an in-built battery that can be recharged using the USB cable and adapter provided with the kit.
- Sleep8 uses the activated oxygen mechanism to sanitize and sterilize the CPAP components.
- It does not even use water for cleaning as any traces of moisture in the CPAP tube and mask can lead to the growth of molds, germs and sinus causing bacteria.
- The cleaning is done by ozone which helps in disinfecting the equipment as it is done in hospitals and industries eliminating the risk of contamination.
- Pressurized air pumps and fans are used for cleaning CPAP components in case of other cleaners which causes noise whereas Sleep8 is silent and does not make any sound at the time of sanitization.
- Sleep8 has a safety feature in the form of one-way flapper valves that prevent any leakage due to improper connection.
- The filtered sanitation bag contains a carbon filter that coverts the ozone coming out of the bag during the cleaning cycle back to oxygen. Many cleaners on the market allow the ozone to escape unfiltered during the cleaning cycle causing a safety hazard.
- A safety shut-off also prevents the device from running if it is not connected properly with the filter bag.
How to use the Sleep8 CPAP Cleaner while traveling?
People suffering from sleep apnea find it difficult to sleep peacefully especially when they are traveling to a new place. A CPAP device in such cases can act as a lifesaver. However, it is always recommended to use the CPAP device after complete sterilization. In such cases, Sleep8 CPAP cleaner is very useful as it can be carried wherever you travel to. As it is a cordless, waterless and small in size, it can fit into your suitcase and can be taken everywhere quite easily.
The three components, namely, the Sleep8 device, filter bag, and the adapter and USB charger can be carried together or separately while traveling. You can connect your Sleep8 device with the filter bag and put all your CPAP components in the bag and start the sterilization process as soon as you reach your hotel so that your CPAP equipment is ready for use and aid you in a peaceful sleep.
A convenient rigid travel storage case comes with all Sleep8 devices sold by CleanCPAP. The case is large enough to store your Sleep8 device, sanitizing bag, charger, travel mask cleaning wipes without taking up valuable storage or luggage space.
If you are going on a two-day trip, you don’t even need to carry the adapter even as once fully charged, the Sleep8 device can sanitize your CPAP components 2 to 3 times quite easily.
Some common queries related to Sleep Apnea and the Sleep8 CPAP Cleaner
How is sleep apnea different from snoring?
Snoring does not necessarily mean that the person is suffering from sleep apnea and sleep apnea has also been diagnosed in people who do not snore.
Sleep apnea is caused due to improper functioning of the respiratory system, physical blockage of airflow or when the brain does not sends timely commands for smooth respiration whereas snoring is caused when respiratory structures vibrate due to obstruction of air movement at the time of breathing.
When sleep apnea was first discovered?
Sleep apnea was first discovered in 1965 but, due to lack of proper knowledge about this condition, its treatment was limited to tracheostomy, in which, the upper airway is bypassed and the air is allowed to enter the lungs directly from another incision created through surgery near the neck/throat.
The treatment of sleep apnea through CPAP was introduced in 1981 which was a paradigm shift for people suffering from this disorder.
What is the scale of this disorder in humans?
Sleep apnea is a common medical condition these days as it has affected more than 4% middle-aged men and 2% middle-aged women.
Up to 18 million Americans are affected by sleep apnea with an estimate of 10 million Americans not even detected with this disorder.
Who is more prone to this disorder?
Males, who are overweight, are at a higher risk to be affected by sleep apnea. A history of breathing issues in family or small airways can also make a person prone to sleep apnea.
Children having issues with enlarged tonsils and adenoids are also at risk of having this disorder.
When should one get himself checked for sleep apnea?
When a person is suffering from sleep apnea, he might not be fully active when awake. A feeling of sleep depravity during the day or falling asleep while at work or study indicates that the person should get himself checked-up from a specialist.
How is sleep apnea detected?
Sleep apnea can be detected through a sleep study test medically known as polysomnography where a number of instruments are used to record various data and based on that a registered polysomnographic technologist confirms whether you are suffering from this disorder or not.
Are some forms of drugs or needles involved in testing for sleep apnea?
No, there are no drugs/medicines or needles involved in testing for sleep apnea. A set of data is recorded from a number of instruments such as electroencephalogram that measures brain waves, electrocardiogram that measures heart rate and rhythm, electrooculogram that keeps a tab on eye and chin movement to detect various stages of sleep, chest bands to check respiration and some other instruments that detect the rising and falling levels of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the body.
How can sleep apnea impact a person?
- Sleep apnea can have a serious impact on the affected.
- It can cause high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke, etc.
- People suffering from the disorder are more prone to get involved in motor vehicle accidents
- Increase in the bodyweight significantly can increase the chances of sleep apnea
- It has been observed that African-Americans, Mexican-Americans, and people from the Pacific Islands may have a higher risk for sleep apnea
- Smoking, alcohol and other types of drugs can increase the risk of sleep apnea
- In children, sleep apnea is associated with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
What is the treatment for mild cases of sleep apnea?
Mild sleep apnea disorder can be cured with simple lifestyle and behavioral changes such as sleeping on side postures instead of the flat back posture, stopping the intake of sleeping pills, alcohol and cigarettes, etc.
However, the best option is to work on reducing body weight in case the patient is overweight.
What happens if CPAP is not cleaned regularly?
CPAP devices help in regularizing the breathing of the people who suffer from sleep apnea. A number of devices are made to provide slightly warm moist air while in operation. Due to this, the condition inside the CPAP equipment (CPAP machine, tubing, mask, etc.) becomes favorable for molds, germs, yeast, etc. due to the presence of moisture and warm conditions. It can eventually cause reactions and lead to coughing, skin and nasal irritation, throat infection, etc.
Is an ozone-based Sleep8 CPAP Cleaner safe to use?
Ozone is one of the most effective disinfectants and kills most of the germs that cause harmful impacts on patients. Thus, disinfecting your CPAP cleaner with ozone ensures that there are no germs in the closed environment of your CPAP system.
As per the United States FDA’s Code of Federal Regulations, 0.05 parts per million of residual ozone is allowed for usage. The best thing about Sleep8 CPAP cleaner is that the device conforms to the limitations set by the FDA.
The only precaution that a user has to take is to wait a minimum of 1 hour after the Sleep8 has finished its cleaning cycle. We recommend cleaning your CPAP supplies in the morning so that there is no doubt that your CPAP supplies will be ready by bedtime. It helps in reducing the residual ozone level in and around the equipment. This is why the user is recommended to use the device after a couple of hours of cleaning.
What are the side effects of improper levels of ozone on our health?
It is worth noting that the effect of ozone varies from person to person. But, if a person intakes ozone above the recommended limit, he can have irritation in the mucous membrane.
Excessive ozone in the body can negatively impact the central nervous system. Inhalation of too much ozone can lead to vision problems and also poses a risk to your heart functioning. High ozone levels in the body can also cause irritation to your lungs and eventually may lead to pulmonary edema.
However, all negative impacts of ozone can be mitigated by leaving the device for a couple of hours in the open after cleaning or at least running the CPAP for about 10 minutes before using it.
What is the impact of ozone on CPAP components?
Ozone helps in reducing the formation of molds, germs and other harmful bacteria. However, there can be negative impacts of ozone as well if CPAP components are exposed to prolonged ozone treatment for cleaning.
Ozone has the potential to cause damage to silicone seals and gaskets. Electronic parts of the CPAP device can also get damaged due to prolonged exposure to ozone.
How activated oxygen cleaning method is better than soap and water solution?
Soap and water solution can clean the CPAP components but it does not kill all the germs and also leave moisture in the system which can eventually lead to mold and germ formation in tubing and the mask.
Activated oxygen or ozone cleaning does not use water to clean the components and it also reaches every nook and corner of the components where water and soap solution cannot reach. Sometimes, a concentrated amount of soap solution can cause damage to silicone seals leading to instant rupture or discoloring.
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on email
Share on google
- Sleep apnea
- Sleep disorder